This position is responsible for helping to maintain the cleanliness of resident rooms and
common facility areas and for performing assigned duties related to the laundering of
facility and resident linen and clothing items.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
1. Cleans resident rooms as assigned using approved procedures and cleaning products.
2. Cleans common facility areas as assigned using approved procedures and cleaning products.
3. Cleans shower rooms as assigned using approved procedures and cleaning products.
4. Empties trash in assigned areas on a daily basis. Replaces trash can liners as appropriate and disposes of trash according to approved procedures.
5. Mops floors in resident rooms and/or common facility areas on a daily basis as assigned.
6. Vacuums carpeted floors on a daily basis as assigned.
7. Performs special housekeeping tasks as assigned such as cleaning windows, vents, furniture, fixtures, hand rails, baseboards, equipment, etc.
8. Cleans lint traps of dryers regularly as assigned.
9. Uses only approved cleaning products in accordance with label instructions or instructions provided by supervisor.
10. Maintains the safety of resident, visitors, staff and others by keeping cleaning products in locked cart or cabinet when not in use.
11. Reports repair needs to supervisor or Maintenance Department in accordance with established procedures.
12. Advises supervisor of supply and equipment needs.
13. As assigned and in accordance with established time frames, transports soiled laundry receptacles to the laundry area.
14. Sorts laundry according to established standards, pre-soaks as necessary to remove or prevent stains and loads washing machines.
15. Transfers washed laundry from washing machine to dryer(s) in approved sanitized container.
16. Sets washing machine(s) and dryer(s) to appropriate operational setting to ensure that laundered items are washed and dried in an appropriate and safe manner.
17. Hooks up or changes laundry detergent using established procedures and dispensing equipment.
18. Removes dried laundry from dryer(s) and folds, stacks or hangs clean items in proper location away from soiled laundry.
19. Distributes personal laundry to resident closets taking care to give each resident his/her own belongings.
20. Collects trash from soiled utility rooms and transports to outside dumpster using approved procedures.
21. Collects, handles and disposes of biohazardous waste in accordance with approved procedures to ensure that infectious agents are properly contained at all times.
22. As assigned, strip floors of wax and wax build-up using approved chemicals and stripping procedures.
23. As assigned, applies wax to stripped floors using approved chemicals and waxing procedures.
24. As assigned, operates floor buffing machine as assigned in accordance with approved time frames and procedures.
25. As assigned, operates power washing machine to clean wheelchairs, over-bed tables, food carts and other equipment as assigned.
26. Performs special housekeeping tasks as assigned such as cleaning windows, vents, furniture, fixtures, hand rails, baseboards, equipment, etc.
27. Uses only approved cleaning products in accordance with label instructions or instructions provided by supervisor.
28. Uses facility time-keeping system appropriately to help ensure accurate and efficient payroll functions.
29. Supports quality of care and operational efficiency by maintaining acceptable attendance record.
30. Performs all job duties in a manner that ensures that confidential information and resident rights are protected at all times.
31. Attends in-service training and other educational programs as directed.
32. Performs all job duties in a safe manner in accordance with established safety guidelines, protocols and expectations.
33. Reports unsafe conditions when noted and immediately reports accidents to immediate supervisor or other designated on-duty manager.
34. Supports and promotes facility and company standards for superior customer service by exhibiting positive, courteous, and helpful behavior when dealing with all internal and external customers.
35. Complies with established standards described in facility policies and procedures, code of conduct, corporate compliance plan, employee handbook and other company documents and publications.
Education: High School graduate or GED preferred.
Experience: Institutional cleaning and/or laundry experience preferred.
1. Demonstrates verbal and written communication skills (in the English language)
sufficient to perform the principle duties and responsibilities outlined in this position description.
2. Capable of performing the following minimum physical requirements:
a. heavy lifting such as transferring loads of wet or dry laundry and lifting and carrying heavy objects;
b. stooping, bending, kneeling, and reaching such as wiping spills off floor, placing materials on shelves, etc.;
c. frequent walking;
d. pushing and pulling heavy carts such as housekeeping and/or laundry carts, hand trucks, etc.;
e. climbing stairs, stools, ladders.