To maintain a high level of customer service while pricing, stocking and rotation of merchandise in the Grocery Department; to maintain a neat, clean and visually appealing department and to perform other tasks as required in an efficient and safe manner, within Company policy.
Essential Job Functions:
The essential job functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ability to proficiently read, write, speak, analyze, interpret, and understand the English language.
- Ability to perform basic math skills.
- Ability to stand/walk for the duration of a scheduled shift.
- Ability to stand, bend, twist, reach, push, pull and regularly lift 25 lbs., and occasionally lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of fresh, dried and/or processed products, spices and powdered substances without negative allergic consequences.
- Ability to tolerate moderate amounts of dust and cleaning agents during routine housekeeping duties.
- Ability to climb a ladder to retrieve items from overhead racking and storage areas.
- Meet all work schedules and comply with all time and attendance policies.
The job responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintain a clean, neat, organized and safe work environment.
- Maintain department sanitation and QA standards by cleaning and sanitizing all work surfaces, utensils and equipment. Keep floor clear of debris and spills.
- Greet all customers and provide them with prompt, courteous service and assistance.
- Observe all safety regulations when operating equipment.
- Maintain Unit Price Labels (tags) for all items, doing price changes as required.
- Keep shelves and displays fully stocked and faced at all times.
- Follow all safety procedures relating to opening cartons, rotation of product.
- Monitor grocery storage area for cleanliness, neatness and preparing for next shift; i.e. making bale, reclamation, plastic, pallets.
- Handle damaged or return-to-stock products according to company policy, with priority attention given to refrigerated, perishable items, and sell by date.
- Utilize CGO to maintain and order merchandise to keep product in stock, including using handheld terminal.
- Use and maintain equipment in good working order; immediately advise Department Manager or Store Management of any maintenance or equipment problems.
- Maintain Department sanitation and QA standards, including sweeping, mopping, removing cardboard and refuse as needed, and being able to operate a baler or compactor.
- Be knowledgeable in the company’s HAZCOM program and adhere to manufacturer’s label instructions for the safe and proper use of all chemical products.
- Fully stock and rotate all merchandise in cases, shelves and other applicable displays according to tag allocation and department standards.
- Unload and secure received product in appropriate storage areas using power or hand jack, carts, U-boats or bossies as needed.
- Block and face all products in accordance to company policy or as assigned.
- Ensure that featured sale merchandise is attractively signed to stimulate sales.
- Accurately record markups and markdowns, in-store use of merchandise, and bad merchandise/spoilage write offs in accordance with Company policies.
- Assist Department Manager as needed.
- Utilize and maintain equipment as required by department; report any equipment problems immediately.
- Adhere to all Federal, State and Local regulations as they pertain to the Grocery operation.
- Dress according to company policy to include uniform, name badge and hat or hair restraint. Comply with QA hand washing standards and use disposable gloves when handling food.
- Complete all applicable department training programs.
- Comply with all ShopRite Service Priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
NOTE: ASSOCIATES MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER TO OPERATE BALERS, HI-LOs, POWER JACKS AND SLICING MACHINES.
Important Disclaimer Notice:
The above statements are only intended to represent the essential job functions and general nature of the work being performed and are not exhaustive of the tasks that an Associate may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require Associates to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.
Supervised by: Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager