LPN/LVN Job Description
Reports To: DON/Resident Care Manager
Exempt Status: Non exempt
FUNCTION: The staff nurse is responsible for the nursing care of patients/residents during his/her shift.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: C.N.A.s and other direct care non licensed personnel.
• Persons who have been found guilty by a court of law of abusing, neglecting or mistreating individuals in a health care related setting are ineligible for employment in this position.
• Knowledge of regulatory standards and compliance requirements.
• Freedom from illegal use of drugs.
• Freedom from use and effects of drugs and alcohol in the workplace.
Education and/or Experience: Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing. A minimum of 6 months experience as a staff nurse is preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Current registration with the state Board of Nursing and licensed as a practical nurse or registered nurse.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Ability to read and interpret statistical charts and graphs.
Ability to define and solve problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusion. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in statistical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONIBILITIES:
• Makes rounds to observe and evaluate the physical and emotional status of residents and takes necessary action.
• Prepares and administers medications and treatments.
• Assesses residents for physician
• Consults with physicians, receives, records and implements orders
• Schedules appointments as needed.
• Rounds with physicians as needed.
• Documents resident status on Monthly Summaries, nurses notes and other reports as needed
• Models appropriate behavior when interacting with staff and residents
• Supervises the care of residents provided by direct care staff
• Participates with the development and updating of the resident plan of care
• Monitors the condition of the assistive devices such as dentures, glasses, hearing aids
• Assists residents as needed to perform ADL activities
• Informs direct care staff of changes in resident condition
• Monitors/supervises direct care staff in performance of duties
• Participates in staff meetings and gives in-services as needed
• Monitors supplies and informs DON of needs
• Is responsible for medications and equipment on the unit and maintains a neat and orderly work area
• Consults with the DON when necessary
• Is supportive of administrative and nursing policies and procedures
• Checks medications form pharmacy for quantity and notifies of problems
• Completes assessments as assigned
• Implements Physician Orders
• Provides a written and, if needed, an oral report to on-coming staff nurse.
• Charts medications and treatments provided
• Monitors and maintains a record of vital signs,
• Completes reports as needed
RESIDENT RIGHTS: Promotes residents’ rights, assists residents to make informed decisions, treats residents with dignity and respect, reports suspected abuse or neglect, and supports independent expression, choice and decision-making.
LEADERSHIP: Demonstrates willingness to try new tasks; generates new ideas for change; evaluates and recognizes priorities, selects effective team members, challenges others to learn, keeps current and integrates new information, communicates and models organization values, fosters high performance and recognizes the need for and provides adequate resources.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT: Applies quality improvement principles, tools, and techniques; assists in data collections; identifies processes for improvement in daily work; educates new staff in team process.
ENVIRONMENT OF CARE: Demonstrates understanding of fire and emergency procedures, participates in fire and disaster drills, demonstrates understanding of safety and security procedures, applies safety and security precautions, demonstrates understanding of hazardous material plan and demonstrates proper use of equipment.
INFECTION CONTROL: Applies hand washing principles during daily work; demonstrates understanding of isolation precautions; recognizes signs and symptoms of infection and complies with the employee health program; demonstrates understanding of the process for identifying and handling infectious waste; maintains personal hygiene; complies with OSHA standards in the work place and demonstrates understanding of cross-contamination.
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT: Enters or records data timely, promotes confidentiality of resident information, logs onto the system using own password, logs off the system when leaving the work station, reports suspected violation of security/confidentiality issues.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrates active listening techniques, gains support through effective relationships, treats others with dignity and respect, seeks feedback, sets clear standards for performance, evaluates job performance and provides effective feedback, establishes systems to measure effectiveness, efficiency and service and creates and maintains reporting mechanisms.
CONTINUING EDUCATION: Attends in-service and education programs; attends continuing education required for maintenance of professional certification or licensure.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and walk, the employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands or fingers; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. Occasional physical effort with medium to heavy objects may occur.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally to frequently exposed to blood or other body fluids, fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
JOB DESCRIPTION REVIEW: I understand this job description, its requirements, and that I am expected to complete all duties as assigned. I understand the job duties may be altered from time to time.