The Day Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for children in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants that focus on the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Help write and implement a weekly schedule for your camp group.
- Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, opening and closing ceremonies, swimming, archery, canoeing, Family Night, etc. This includes time spent on the bus.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Camp Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the camp and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your campers’ safety and their whereabouts at all times.
- Help guide Junior Counselors and Camp Volunteers to have a deeper understanding of leadership and counseling skills.
- See camp specific addendum for program details.