Under the supervision of the Unit Manager / DON, a RN assumes responsibility and accountability for a group of residents/patients for a shift of duty. Nursing care is provided through assessment, implementations, and evaluation of the plan of care. The RN adheres to the standards of care for the area, manages the environment to maintain resident/patient safety, and supervises the resident/patient care activity performance by nursing assistants and helpers. Follows all Extendicare’s policies and procedures. Performs duties as defined by the State Nurse Practice Act.
1. Makes frequent rounds to note resident/patient conditions and to ensure nursing personnel are performing their work assignments in accordance with acceptable nursing standards.
2. Gives/receives the nursing report upon reporting in and ending shift duty hours.
3. *Ensures assigned work area (i.e. nurse station, med. Cart, medication room, etc.), resident/patient care rooms and treatment areas are maintained in a clean and sanitary manner. Monitors supplies and orders as needed.
4. *Attends regularly conducted staff meetings as scheduled by the Director of Nursing/Unit Manager and participates regularly in continuing education in-service programs.
5. *Handles on-call responsibilities as required.
6. Provides the following nursing functions:
7. *Counts all controlled drugs with other nurse at shift change and notifies the DON / Unit Manager of all drug and narcotic discrepancies noted on your shift.
8. *Keeps medication room and medication cart locked according to regulations. Responsible for security of keys.
9. *Keeps medication room and medication cart clean and orderly.
10. Conducts weekly shift meetings with nursing assistants.
11. Participates in the Interdisciplinary Plan of Care (“IPOC”) process as assigned.
12. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare’s Corporate Compliance Program.
13. Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
14. *Attends and participates in in-service classes, performance improvement (“PI”) committees, and other meetings as assigned.
15. Follow facility dress and hygiene policies.
17. Resident Rights
The designation of “essential functions” and “other duties” is for purposes of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employees holding this position will be required to perform all job duties, consistent with law. In addition, employees must meet applicable health requirements imposed by law.
This description has been prepared to assist in evaluating various classes of responsibilities, skills, and working conditions. It indicates the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of positions given this classification. It is not intended as a complete list of specific duties and responsibilities. Nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under supervision. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be construed to create or constitute a contract of employment between any employee or group of employees and the Employer. The Employer retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any section of this document as it deems, in its judgment, to be proper.
Education: Possesses a current license to practice in the State as an RN.
Experience: One year of experience preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: Ability to manage and supervise nursing staff. Ability to make independent decisions. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English. Meets all health requirements, as required by law. Ability to relate positively, effectively, and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Proficient in Microsoft Office version 1997, 2000 or XP, Outlook, Internet Explorer.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The responsibilities of this position involve significant physical activities including standing, lifting (up to 60 pounds unassisted), bending, stooping, pushing, pulling and twisting. The tasks on this position description marked with an asterisk (*) are those that regularly require these physical activities. All employees of nursing homes may be required to provide lifting and transfer assistance to residents. Lifting and/or transferring some residents will require use of a lifting device and /or assistance of other staff.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
Extendicare Health Services, Inc. is committed to helping individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensuring equal opportunity to apply and compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or need an alternative method for applying for positions at Extendicare Health Services, Inc., please email Careers@extendicare.com for further assistance.
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply today.