Under direct supervision, ensure a safe, clean and enjoyable aquatic environment for YMCA members and participants. Ensure safety of all individuals in the pool area by being on deck, watching all activity in and around the pool, walking around the pool area, constantly remaining alert while on duty, enforcing all pool rules, recognize emergency situations, rescue individuals is stress, perform emergency care and contact emergency assistance when required.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- To ensure the safety of every individual at the YMCA, both in and around the pool as well as the rest of the facility.
- To enforce regulations pertaining to showers, food and drink, conduct.
- To help in maintaining the premises in a clean and sanitary condition.
- To maintain accurate records as required by the CT Health Department Sanitary Code.
- Be acquainted with other available facilities and activities.
- To learn and review all emergency procedures.
- To attend all staff meetings and in-services as required.
- To report 15 minutes prior to scheduled hours in proper uniform (whistle, trunks and provided lifeguard shirt for men and one piece suit and provided lifeguard shirt for women).
- To secure a substitute lifeguard when unable to fulfill assigned duties and notify supervisor of changes.
- Ability to see and hear individuals and alarms in pool/pool area.
- Ability to use chemistry test kit.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform activities which require sustained concentration and attention
- To maintain all certifications required by the YMCA of Greater Hartford.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Current YMCA or ARC Lifeguard, CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification (infant, child and adult), Oxygen Admin and First Aid certification.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that a lifeguard will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people.