Teen Leadership Counselor
Teen Leadership Counselors will be responsible to serve as a counselor to a group of 8-10 campers, serving as their positive role model, leader and friend. The counselor may also either teach or assist with daily clinics, cabin activities and progressive teambuilding. Teen Leadership Counselors may also lead off site trips and must ensure camper safety and well-being at all times, including meal and medication provision. Primary responsibility is to ensure the well-being of their campers. Counselors plan and carry out activities designed to help build campers spiritually, mentally and physically.
- Senior (Short Adventure Trips) Village: 4 day hiking, biking or canoeing trips – Boys & Girls Ages 14-15
- LIT (Leaders in Training) Village: 2 day hiking trip & extensive teambuilding – Boys & Girls Ages 15
- CIT (Counselor in Training): 2 day overnight, extensive teambuilding and training. 4 week program – Boys & Girls Ages 16
- Trippers: 2 week offsite adventure trips – Boys & Girls Ages 14-17 Driving license is required.
- Is at least 21 years of age.
- Has a desire to care for, work with and motivate campers and counselors. This includes understanding their needs and placing these needs and the objectives of camp before personal needs.
- Has a desire to live and work with campers.
- Create a climate in the group that will foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA.
- Possess leadership abilities.
- Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional and/or neglect.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children and staff.
- Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment for staff and customers.
- Will lead offsite trips;
- Maintain a safe campsite, and supervise campers.
- Navigate and following predetermined schedule/itinerary.
- Prepare and cook all meals.
- Provide all healthcare and medication.
- Ensure ‘leave no trace’ principals are enforced.
- Is able to plan and lead cabin activities in line with the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility
- Is familiar with and carries out emergency procedures, building rules and regulations.
- Is able to plan and lead cabin activities in line with the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility.
- Is able to plan and lead clinics based on assignments
- Arrive on time for scheduled shifts, wearing appropriate uniform and name tag, and prepared for all assignments.
- Provide a safe environment and program for all participants.
- Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to those campers in daily living skills, with special attention to:
- Person hygiene, safety and manners
- Camper participation in all camp activities
- Camper personal growth, self-confidence and independence
- HAVE FUN!
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have Outdoor skills, camping and leadership experience.
- Must have experience with camp and working with children.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Current certification (or ability to train) in Wilderness First Aid and CPR required. Preference is given to candidates who have lifeguarding or who are able to complete a lifeguarding class.
- Must meet all state licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.