Summer Camp Counselors will be responsible to serve as a counselor to a group of 8-10 campers, serving as their positive role model, leader and friend. The counselor will also either teach or assist with daily clinics and cabin activities. Primary responsibility is to ensure the well-being of their campers. Counselors plan and carry out activities designed to help build campers spiritually, mentally and physically.
Scamper Camp – Boys & Girls Ages 3-5
Camp K – Boys & Girls Ages 5-10
Specialty Camp – Boys & Girls grades 1-4
Teen Camp – Boys & Girls grades 6-8
- Is at least 18 years of age.
- Has a desire to care for, work with and motivate campers and counselors. This includes understanding their needs and placing these needs and the objectives of camp before personal needs.
- Has a desire to live and work with campers.
- Create a climate in the group that will foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA.
- Possess leadership abilities.
- Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional and/or neglect.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children and staff.
- Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment for staff and customers.
- Is familiar with and carries out emergency procedures, building rules and regulations.
- Is able to plan and lead cabin activities in line with the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect & Responsibility.
- Is able to plan and lead clinics based on assignments
- Arrive on time for scheduled shifts, wearing appropriate uniform and name tag, and prepared for all assignments.
- Provide a safe environment and program for all participants.
- Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to those campers in daily living skills, with special attention to:
- Person hygiene, safety and manners
- Camper participation in all camp activities
- Camper personal growth, self-confidence and independence
- HAVE FUN!
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have experience with camp and working with children.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer required
- Must meet all state licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.