Head Teacher - Preschool
Under the direction of the Child Care Director, the Head Teacher - Preschool works for the YMCA of Greater Hartford and is responsible for the development, coordination, planning, administration, supervision, and delivery of the Preschool age Child Care programming.
Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Design and evaluate a progressive, age-appropriate curriculum. Implement that program with comprehensive lesson plans and necessary materials to ensure premier quality and innovation.
- Manage classroom, maintain control, and serve as a role model with clear rules for safety and mutual respect, age-appropriate discipline methods and a program that demonstrates knowledge of child development. Monitor ratios.
- Keep parents apprised daily of room activities and/or child(ren)’s progress.
- Maintain accurate classroom records and emergency contact information, maintaining confidentiality of information provided by parents, staff and administration.
- Display a positive attitude that is conducive to good public relations.
- Knowledge of Office of Children and Family Services Regulations, YMCA of Greater Hartford procedures, rules, regulations, and guidelines, and Branch regulations.
- Obtain and maintain the Connecticut State Accreditation Standards.
- Wear proper identification and presentable clothing AT ALL TIMES.
- Expand job knowledge and skills by demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Serves as a member of the total staff team. Supports total Association events as designated.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
The incumbent must:
- A minimum of an Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education or related field AND two years direct experience working with children ages 3 to 5 years, including two years in a supervisory capacity. Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience using the Connecticut Preschool Frameworks, lesson planning, and observing and assessing children.
- Possess a general knowledge and understanding of the YMCA, its goals, and its mission.
- Bring to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with children.
- Have very strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Computer literacy in the use of Windows-based programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.