Chief Development Officer
The Chief Development Officer (CDO) is responsible for development and implementation of the YMCA of Greater Hartford’s Development strategies and initiatives which include Capital Campaign, Major Gifts, Grants and Endowment Development fundraising. Provides direction, support and training to branches related to their development efforts and provides leadership and oversight to Development team. Works closely with the Association Board and volunteers, and supports the President/CEO’s fund development efforts.
- Create the plan, strategy, policies and procedures related to address fundraising needs of the Association.
- Work closely with development staff and senior leadership to continually monitor analyze plan results and proactively develop intervention strategies to address area where goals are not being met.
- Work closely with CEO and volunteers to identify and prioritize Capital Campaign needs and take a lead role in the Capital Campaign for Association.
- Work with CEO and COO to set activity and revenue goals for major gifts.
- Cultivate and steward 50+ major donor prospects, including prospect research and strategy development.
- Work with senior leaders within the YMCA of Greater Hartford, including Executive Directors at the branches, in a concerted effort to develop major gift prospects, maximizing efficiency and productivity.
- Compose special proposals and letters to major gifts donors, solicit or participate in solicitations as appropriate.
- Develop briefings, letters, proposals and related materials for key volunteers, CEO and COO as it relates to prospects and donors.
- Work closely with CEO and COO to define new initiatives designed to increase the donor base. Collaborate with CEO, COO and Development staff on identification, cultivation and stewardship opportunities for major gifts donors and prospects.
- Provide training to senior leaders and volunteers on identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift prospects.
- Work collaboratively with CEO office to identify, plan and implement donor recognition events and any Association wide Special Events.
- Work collaboratively with senior leaders to develop a plan for Special Events across the association.
- Ensure that there is a calendar for grant submissions and that Development staff are researching and appropriately responding to grant opportunities.
- Leads brand awareness marketing efforts, creates opportunities to increase awareness and develops communication materials to support efforts.
- Act as staff support to assigned committees and/or task forces related to Development.
- Act as a member of the senior management team.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate high level of diplomacy, confidentiality, sound judgment, and discretion when dealing with donors, volunteers, and community professionals.
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to Health Seekers, Members, Participants, Internal Customers, Fellow Staff Members, Vendors, and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
- A B.S. degree in Human Services or related field and seven to nine years of previous fund raising experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience leading a fundraising department, raising at least $3M or more per year preferred.
- Experience with Capital Campaigns preferred.
- Experience maintaining a portfolio of major donors preferred.
- YMCA fund raising experience a plus.
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
- A working knowledge of fundraising software and fund raising tools.
- Strong abilities in consensus building and goal setting.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.
- Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment for staff and customers.