Under the direction of the Association Director of Aquatic, the Aquatics Coordinator will uphold the rules and the guidelines of the pool to ensure the safest environment for all members. This position will help oversee all part-time staff, Life Guards, Swim Instructors and assist in daily scheduling, staff trainings, teaching swimming lessons and/or Life Guarding. Help oversee daily aquatic programming staffing, membership and safety for the aquatic center..
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
- To ensure the safety of every individual at the YMCA, both in and around the pool as well as the rest of the facility.
- To enforce regulations pertaining to showers, food and drink, conduct.
- To help in maintaining the premises in a clean and sanitary condition.
- To maintain accurate records as required by the CT Health Department Sanitary Code.
- Be acquainted with other available facilities and activities.
- To learn and review all emergency procedures.
- To attend all staff meetings and in-services as required.
- To report 15 minutes prior to scheduled hours in proper uniform (whistle, trunks and provided lifeguard shirt for men and one piece suit and provided lifeguard shirt for women).
- To secure a substitute lifeguard when unable to fulfill assigned duties and notify supervisor of changes.
- To maintain all certifications required by the YMCA of Greater Hartford.
- All other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Demonstrate high level of diplomacy, confidentiality, sound judgment, and discretion when dealing with donors, volunteers, and community professionals.
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to Health Seekers, Members, Participants, Internal Customers, Fellow Staff Members, Vendors, and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must have current YMCA Life guarding or Red Cross Life guarding.
- At least 2 years of experience teaching children and adults swimming lessons.
- Must have CPR for the Professional Rescuer Certification, AED, and Oxygen Administration.
- Must have Basic First Aid certification.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that the Program Coordinator will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people
The employee is expected to meet the physical requirements of the position, which may include, a frequent amount of sitting, standing and walking, reaching, stooping, kneeling, bending and occasionally lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds. Lifting requirement of the position may be greater depending on the particular job to be performed (i.e. aquatics, child care).