The Power Scholars Academy is offered in Hartford at Dr. Frank T. Simpson-Waverly School and East Hartford at Anna E. Norris Elementary School. The program runs for 6 weeks at each site. Anna Norris will run from June 26-August 4, 2017 and Simpson-Waverly from June 19-July 28, 2017.
- Be available Monday-Friday for entire 6 week duration
- Develop and implement appropriate enrichment classes for assigned grade levels
- Prepare classrooms for daily activities and collaborate with academic teachers and teacher's assistants to ensure that objectives are reached
- Maintain an organized and efficient classroom along with accurate classroom records
- Adhere to all Power Scholar Academy and district professional expectations and compliance issues
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented, organized and engaging learning environment
- Motivate and holding scholars to high academic and behavioral expectations
- Provide consistent rewards and/or consequences for scholar behavior grounded in positive discipline
- Empower scholars to make positive choices and serving as a role model
- Be able to meet scholars' individual academic and instructional needs
- Ensure enrichment goals are met for each scholar
- Create and direct project based learning
- Mentor and support the professional development of the teacher's assistants
- Supervise scholars during guest speaker engagements, field trips, lunch and recess
- ALL enrichment teachers are required to develop lesson plans and produce a presentation/showcase for all grade levels to present at the BELL Program Celebration in July/August.
- STEM teachers will engage children in the Project-Based Learning Model by providing experiential activities, exploratory, problem solving and critical thinking sessions, creative arts projects, group work and collective thinking, speaking and presentations exploring STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math.
The teacher must hold either an A.S. or higher, or be a college student pursuing a B.S. or higher in education or a related field. Teachers must have at least 1 year of experience working directly with children. Experience in one or all of the following: art, life skills, drama, dance, STEM and music