Responsible for the implementation, evaluation, and continual improvement of the swimming curriculum, as well as the management of campers while they are in instructional and open swim, and for the maintenance and cleanliness of all waterfront equipment and areas. Above all else, the Waterfront Coordinator is responsible for the safety of all individuals on the waterfront.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
- To ensure that above all else, campers are safe and well supervised while present at the program area.
- To improve, implement and evaluate the swimming curriculum.
- To maintain all equipment and areas in good working order and to inform the Program Director before new supplies need to be ordered.
- To ensure that the swimming dock, swimming storage areas, the boathouse, and the surrounding areas are kept in a clean and orderly manner.
- To work with the Program Director to schedule all waterfront activities.
- To oversee all swimming classes and evaluate all swimming instructors.
- To ensure that all campers are receiving quality swim instruction with a week to week progression for campers that stay multiple weeks.
- To complete and submit all Red Cross and YMCA paperwork in a timely manner.
- To supervise and evaluate all lifeguarding staff.
- To ensure that all staff members are properly trained (before they run any classes or programs.
- To run periodic in-service trainings for are lifeguards and swim instructors.
- To ensure that all lifeguards are attired properly, using a guard tube, and utilizing proper guarding techniques.
- To ensure that all lifeguarding ratios are followed.
- To ensure that all lifeguarding equipment is kept in good working order.
- To complete end of the summer wish list and inventory sheets.
- Carry out other duties as assigned to assure the overall success of the camp and its programs.
- To promote the values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to, members, participants, fellow staff members, vendors and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be the number one priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people within the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer required.
- Must have appropriate background and training in running or assiting in running a waterfront
- Current certification in Waterfront Lifeguarding required.
- Current certification in Lifeguard Instructor and YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor (preferred).
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Must successfully complete Staff Training.
- Ability to visibly observe children.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and transport equipment from one location to another.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead activities.
- Ability to communicate with parents and children effectively.
- Ability to hear distress signals even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to reason, solve problems and make sound decisions even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those subject to extreme heat and humidity.
- Observe and promote safety and security procedures.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- To ensure that each camper the total camp experience.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.