Jr. Camp Counselor
The Junior Counselor will be responsible to serve as a Junior Counselor to a group of 10-14 Campers, serving as their positive role model, leader, and friend. Primary responsibility is to insure the well-being of their campers. They will assist and carry out activities designed to help build campers spiritually, mentally and physically.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
- Assist with the implementation of promotional plans for program(s).
- Create a climate in the unit that will foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA.
- Maintain open communication with parents.
- Provide a safe environment and program for all participants.
- Demonstrate and promote YMCA Character Development to all members, participants, and community by:
- Caring: to be sensitive to the well-being of others; to help others
- Honesty: to tell the truth; to be worthy of trust; to have integrity
- Respect: to treat others as you would have them treat you; to value the worth of every person, including yourself
- Responsibility: to do what you ought to do; to be accountable for your behavior and your obligations
- Is familiar with and carries out emergency procedures, building rules and regulations.
- Arrive on time for scheduled shifts, wearing appropriate uniform and name tag, and prepared for all assignments.
- Maintain proper paperwork and documentation to ensure the efficient running of the camp.
- Help evaluate volunteers (CIT’s) of the camp ensuring premier quality and innovation.
- Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding camper and parent’s expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children, host agencies, and staff.
- To participate and work cooperatively in all staff training events and staff meetings.
- In sympathy with, and committed to, carrying out the Mission of the YMCA of Greater Hartford.
- To know and use counselor’s and camper’s names.
- At least 16 years of age.
- Prior experience working with children of groups preferred.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR for Professional Rescuer required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.