Under the direction of the Senior Program Director, the Camp Director is responsible for the implementation and development of Camp Farmington Valley .
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
- Responsible for the operation of summer day camp, consisting of between 50-100 campers weekly during June-September.
- With the Senior Program Director, ensure that all required standards and guidelines set forth by Department of Health and A.C.A. are regularly met.
- Responsible for the creation, communication, marketing and implementation of Session-based programming at YMCA Camp.
- With guidance from the Senior Program Director, accountable for budget development and management for Day Camp, Archery, and grounds.
- Responsible for staff supervision for Summer Day Camp
- Assist with Annual Campaign events.
- Servers as a member of the Camp YMCA Staff Team, assisting with special events, programming and committees as assigned.
- Maintains and further develops contacts and relationships with area schools, community agencies, and businesses.
- Responsible for neat and organized upkeep of YMCA facilities and equipment.
- Implements programs that identify safety, quality, and excellent customer services as top priorities.
- Any other duties assigned.
- Demonstrate member service by:
- Caring: to be sensitive to the well-being of others; to help others
- Honesty: to tell the truth; to be worthy of trust; to have integrity
- Respect: to treat others as you would have them treat you; to value the worth of every person, including yourself
- Responsibility: to do what you ought to do; to be accountable for your behavior and your obligations
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to, members, participants, fellow staff members, vendors and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be the number one priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people within the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Recreation Management, Education, or related fields) and two years professional experience in a supervisory role.
- Experience in adventure programming, environmental education and camping is highly desired.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills required.
- Ability to work well with youth, adults, staff and parents.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- Must possess or attain CPR for Professional Rescuer/AED Certifications within 30 days of hire.
- Must have at least 20 weeks experience in either a day camp or resident camp setting.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Must successfully complete YMCA New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be 21 years or older
- Must be able to stand for the duration of the shift.
- Ability and willingness to supervise and facilitate YMCA Camp ropes course, including all low and high ropes elements.
- Must be able to climb each element successfully, belay individuals on each element successfully and perform any type of rescue as necessary.
- Must be able to bend and stoop occasionally.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds occasionally.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- To ensure that each camper the total camp experience.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.