Association Director of Membership & Marketing
The Director of Membership and Marketing is responsible for providing internal strategic consulting and expertise on Association-wide membership, marketing, communications and operational activities related thereto. The incumbent stewards the Greater Hartford YMCA’s strategic plan for membership development aimed at shaping the overall service delivery systems, membership program quality, marketing member services, fiscal management initiatives, and membership retention. This position will also support strategic initiatives that advance youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, such as Y-TIP, Achievers, LIVESTRONG, Living our Cause, Diabetes Prevention (if we elect to offer this program), Change for Life, and Adaptive Sports.
The Association Director of Membership and Marketing works collaboratively, with the District Executive Director and other senior leaders, to ensure the execution of the Association membership strategy; develop internal and external communication practices; manage crisis communication; advance brand awareness and visibility; lead marketing efforts; provide supervision of designated staff; and enhance the Association's delivery and capacity as a mission-driven organization in order to achieve objectives.
The Association Director of Membership and Marketing has direct supervision and oversight of the Regional Membership Directors. Development of membership and marketing strategies to be deployed in the branch niche markets and effectively utilizing staff to implement is key to the success of this position.
1. Communicate a clear vision for the mission and goals of the YMCA which inspires and engages internal constituents and the external community.
2. Develop and manage traditional and social media communication strategies.
3. Integrate vision, mission and core values into all communication and marketing strategies.
4. Update and maintain the relevance of the GHYMCA website.
5. Serve as a member of assigned committees as needed.
6. Champion and integrate character development and the four core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility in all aspects of membership and programs.
7. Counsel and support branch executives to achieve targets as set forth in the Strategic Plan.
8. Develop, manage, and monitor the department budget and meets or exceeds budgeted targets, including membership revenue through growth and retention of members.
9. Responsible for increasing community collaborations relating to programs and initiatives for the Association and for providing coaching, mentoring, and consultation with all Association centers on their related initiatives.
10. Develop and lead the planning and implementation of member services, involvement and retention, and related marketing efforts.
11. Prepare and maintain statistical, analytical, and narrative reports and records as required. Analyze and define trends and interpret their implications for the YMCA.
12. Serve as key liaison between the centers and Association heads to ensure all levels of the Association are operating in concert and all initiatives are fully integrated.
13. Ensure all efforts are consistent with Association policies and procedures.
14. Develop and maintain contacts in the community with business and civic leaders in order to assure their continued support and engagement.
15. Conduct semi-annual membership satisfaction surveys at each branch.
16. Co-Chair Communications Committee.
- Provide a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to Health Seekers, Members, Participants, Internal Customers, Fellow Staff Members, Vendors, and others.
- Treat everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; display integrity; listen actively and genuinely; communicate in a clear and pleasant manner; embrace differences among people; demonstrate an active willingness to learn and grow; accept constructive criticism; and work cooperatively as a team member.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be a major focus as we attend to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people within the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
The Marketing aspect of this position requires a focus on assuring that we are communicating as a “cause-driven” charitable organization committed to: putting a caring adult in the presence of every child; being good stewards of the resources entrusted to us; and working, in partnership with others, to eliminate the disparities in health and education. The position will work closely with their team to execute the vision set forth by the District Executive Director of Membership & Marketing.
- A bachelor's degree is required. A master's degree is preferred. An Organizational Leader or equivalent and a minimum of 3 to 5 years’ experience managing a YMCA branch and/or YMCA local association senior management position preferred.
- A high degree of skill in YMCA program development, operations, fiscal management, board and volunteer development, membership growth and retention, staff development, community development and collaboration.
- Flexibility and sensitivity to individual community and local association market differences and must be able to engender acceptance in a highly diverse environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work within the culture while being able to think strategically and creatively to move the YMCA forward in its mission.
- Command of research findings and best practices as relates to membership and marketing.
- Strong project management skills, analytical skills, creativity and resourcefulness in formulating a unique approach to increase YMCA brand awareness and appreciation.
- Must be able to utilize high level communication, persuasion and strategic thoughts to help others understand internal and external positions and promote new ideas in an open environment.
- Commitment to character development values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.