Under the general direction of the Head Teacher, the Teacher’s Aide works for the YMCA of Greater Hartford and is responsible for on-site activity leadership, working directly with children. Must enjoy working with children, be a team player, be dependable and possess knowledge of positive behavior management techniques.
Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Assist Teacher in the preparation and delivery of daily activities by completing assigned tasks.
- Actively participate with children in all activities and during play times, ensuring premier quality and innovation.
- Be responsible for clean-up and maintenance of toys and materials after each activity.
- Communicate immediately any problems or concerns with the program, staff, children or parents to the Childcare Director or Supervisor.
- Maintain confidentiality of information provided by parents, staff and administration.
- Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional and/or neglect.
- Attend the minimum number of training hours per year as required by State law and/or accrediting agencies, as approved by supervisor.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children, host agencies, and staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Have limited experience working with children under 13 years of age, preferably in an organized setting.
- Bring to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with children.
- Have very strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Possess limited knowledge of various resources for programming ideas and the skills to utilize that information in assisting daily activities.
- Be creative with lots of energy and can inspire children to learn and grow.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.