Seasonal Mosquito Technician
This position is temporary, non-exempt, unclassified and not covered as defined under The Board of Commissioners of the County of Allen Employee Handbook.
8:00 – 4:30 pm and as needed including the ability to perform night-time mosquito spraying, 37.5 hours per week
Under the direction of the Vector Control and Environmental Services Director, the Seasonal Mosquito Technician is responsible for collecting mosquito samples, treating breeding sites, and setting up mosquito traps.
- Responds to public complaints concerning mosquitoes.
- Samples and treats bodies of water breeding mosquitoes and permanent mosquito breeding sites.
- Places and collects adult mosquito traps.
- Collects mosquito fish to provide to the public.
- Assists with night-time adult mosquito spraying when necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned; including overtime as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Prior pest control experience preferred
- Must be eligible for employment May 1st through September 29th in order to be considered for this position. In prior years we have allowed applicants who were not available during our required timeframes. That will not be allowed this year under any circumstances as we must be able to cover our required duties during all of the months outlined.
- Valid Driver’s License and a demonstrated safe driving record to operate a County owned vehicle
- Knowledge of public health laws, regulations and related operations, methods, principles and safety measures
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to read a map to respond to public complaints as part of daily field duties
- Ability to effectively conduct field visits and resolve related situations, emergencies and/or problems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all Departmental records and information
The Seasonal Mosquito Technician works in the field with exposure to temperature extremes having the ability to lift up to forty pounds with some bending, pushing and/or pulling loads, kneeling and climbing required with the ability to move around freely.