Temporary Maintenance and Technical Road Crew
This position is temporary, nonexempt, unclassified and not covered as defined by the Board of Commissioners of the County of Allen Employee Handbook.
*Positions available at North Barn, South Barn and Sign Shop locations.
Position is approximately sixteen weeks; 7:00 am - 3:30 pm and as needed
The Maintenance and Technical Road Crew assists with road repair, mowing and brush and tree removal.
- Works on road crew, performing asphalt hole-patching repair, brush and tree removal, mowing and related maintenance and repair.
- Assists with sign replacement.
- Provides maintenance for facilities and storage yard, including sweeping, mowing, cleaning, painting and other general maintenance.
- Assists with replacing or repairing culverts, road and ditch pipes, tiles, and other drainage structures.
- Shovels crushed stone, sand, asphalt and salt from trucks.
- Responsible for guiding traffic through construction zones.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of standard road maintenance practices, with knowledge of the use and care of hand tools including shovels, rakes, lutes, pick axe, saws, brooms and sledgehammers.
- Must be 18 years and in possession of a valid driver's license.
- Knowledge of practical safety guidelines and rules for working in or around heavy equipment and traffic.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and complete daily work reports.
- Ability to physically perform the essential duties of the position.
The Maintenance and Technical Road Crew performs majority of duties standing with the ability to move around freely with some sitting, having the ability to very frequently lift up to sixty pounds with frequent bending, pushing and/or pulling loads, kneeling, and climbing ladders with some reaching over head and crawling with very frequent exposure to extreme temperatures and dangerous equipment with frequent exposure to chemicals, noise and noxious odors/fumes.