Accounts Receivable Clerk
For over 35 years, CNS has provided post-acute medical treatment, rehabilitation and disease management, and offers residential, inpatient, outpatient and assisted living programs. Locations include Bakersfield, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Dallas.
Our facilities have been honored many times by the prestigious Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF International) for excellence in therapeutic programs, staff education, patient treatment, and leadership. We also conduct research on brain injury and recovery, with a dedicated, in-house team of Ph.D. researchers who collaborate with major U.S. universities. Please see our moving corporate video, "The Story of Centre for Neuro Skills" at http://www.neuroskills.com/about-us/tour-cns.php.
Centre for Neuro Skills (CNS) helps people with brain injury find hope, independence and a meaningful life - and you can play a key role in that journey as a Reimbursement Specialist.
The Accounts Receivable/Billing Clerk - I processes accounts receivable for all CNS facilities and select physicians utilizing manual data and a computer system. Shift is full time during weekdays. In general, successful maintenance of this position requires a high level of accuracy in terms of documentation, computation and input, dependability for assigned work shifts, and an ability to be flexible and adaptable to needs of staff, insurance carriers/ conservators and patients.
This position requires a high level of accuracy in terms of documentation, communication, computation, dependability, and an ability to be flexible and adaptable to needs of staff, third party representatives and patients.
CNS offers a competitive salary and benefits, including paid time off, extended sick leave, health/dental/life insurance, paid holidays, 401(k), etc.
1. Receives and tabulates information from database. Uses compiled information from multiple information systems to prepare invoices as part of billing cycle. Assists with inquiries from therapists regarding billing issues on time logs, etc.
2. Processes A/R billing in a timely manner.
a. Enters information from the time log system into computerized A/R system to generate invoices.
b. Prints invoices after appropriate verification and posting.
c. Electronically transmits and mails invoices to carriers with any additional information required; which may include itemized dates of service, procedure codes, and/or CMS 1500/UB04 forms. Verifies electronic billing through clearing houses. Prepares other manual reports as needed.
d. Prior to mailing all invoices and/or corrected claims, billing clerk scans all paper invoices and supporting documentation into the CNS network to serve as a copy of the initial billing.
3. Verifies insurance carrier information and family/private billing information for non-covered charges. Works with Case Manager(s) and Admissions staff in this area. Maintains this information in the accounting system and billing files. May provide billing information to outside vendors for direct billing.
4. Attends assigned facility billing meetings.
5. Works with Collection Clerks to assist with A/R collection issues. Receives and handles billing inquiries from carriers. Records any issue, or inquiries into the collection notes in Centriq. Provides copies of invoices or other information. Will refer accounts to CNS Collection Clerk as needed.
6. Keeps systematic set of billing files for all patients for all facilities.
7. Maintains professional and ethical relationships with staff, patients, patient families, and other visitors.
8. Attends staff meetings, in-services, and all scheduled shifts.
9. Comprehends and follows instructions:
a. Maintain attention and concentration for necessary periods
b. Apply common sense understanding and carry out instructions (written, oral or diagrammatic)
c. Adapt to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards
10. Performs simple and repetitive tasks:
a. Ask simple questions or request assistance when needed
b. Perform routine, concrete, organized activities
c. Remember locations and work procedures
d. Make decisions based on simple sensory data
11. Maintains work pace appropriate to given work load:
a. Perform activities on schedule, maintain regular attendance, and be punctual within specified tolerance
b. Complete normal workday and/or week, perform at a consistent pace without excessive rest periods
12. Performs complex or varied tasks:
a. Synthesize, coordinate and analyze data
b. Perform job requiring precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards
13. Relates to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions:
a. Can get along with co-workers or peers without exhibiting behavioral extremes
b. Maintain open door policy to encourage active, empathetic listening
c. Perform work activities requiring negotiating, instructing, supervising, persuading or speaking with others
d. Respond appropriately to criticism from a supervisor and/or other staff member(s)
14. Effectively influences people on a consistent basis:
a. Convince or redirect others
b. Understand the meaning of words and use them effectively
c. Interact appropriately with people which includes the provision of appropriate internal and external customer service
15. Makes generalizations, evaluations or decisions without immediate supervision:
a. Recognize potential hazards and observe appropriate precautions
b. Understand and remember detailed instructions
c. Make independent decisions or judgments based on sensory data or known guidelines
16. Accepts and carries out responsibility for direction, control and planning:
a. Set realistic goals or make plans independently of others
b. Negotiate, instruct or supervise people
c. Respond appropriately to changes in the work setting
PREFERRED DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Performs related filing in various locations within the office and offsite storage.
2. Performs other duties as assigned.
SPECIAL SKILLS UTILIZED, EDUCATION LEVEL, TRAINING
1. High school graduation or G.E.D. required.
2. 3 years of experience is preferred in medical billing
3. Certified billing coder preferred.
4. Computer experience in Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Microsoft office applications, etc.
5. On the job training to acclimate employee to CNS system and procedures.