To effectively plan, organize, lead, coordinate and optimize the materials and human resources in the bakery department. Provide variety and high quality merchandise appealingly displayed to maximize the sales and profits of the bakery department while maintaining great customer service.
Primary (Essential) Job Functions:
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary by the company.
1. Provide an open door atmosphere conducive to high associate morale and excellent customer service. Achieve the highest associate morale in the industry by managing in a style that is Respectful, Supportive and Totally Team Oriented (RSTO).
2. Commit to the “Golden Rule” and work with other associates to build a strong bakery team.
3. Promote the company image as a service-oriented operation where every associate will greet, assist, render efficient service and thank customers in a prompt, courteous, friendly and business-like manner.
5. Ensure the department achieves the standards of performance as outlined in the work and merchandising plan.
6. Possess good communication skills and the ability to conduct and facilitate department meetings.
7. Ensure all new department associates receive proper review and training of job descriptions, goals and objectives.
8. Ensure fair and consistent treatment in administering discipline to promote high associate morale.
9. Conduct weekly sales meetings with associates to establish merchandising, sales and profit objectives.
10. Responsible for inventory, security and expense control of the department.
11. Ensure company standards of safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are achieved.
12. Practice the “Cleaner’s Creed” and proper sanitation procedures.
13. Resolve customer complaints to the full satisfaction of the customer.
14. Ensure the department is merchandised in accordance with the needs of the community.
15. Guarantee the best trained bakery team in the industry. Train and develop associates in accordance with company policy and procedures.
16. Individual successful completion of the passbook training within 60 days of entering the department.
17. Responsible for department associates’ successful completion of the passbook training within the first 60 days of their entering the department.
18. Order, receive, and unload truck; store, price, date, rotate and stock product and prepare product for display and sale.
19. Keep all bakery ingredients or merchandise rotated in accordance with company policy and product code dates and always make use of the oldest products first (first in, first out).
20. Ensure all wage and hour policies and regulations are adhered to.
21. Plan work schedules and breaks; achieve payroll consistently by scheduling within budget.
22. Effectively control proper storage limiting shrink and damaged goods.
23. Achieve and maintain department’s merchandising goals and standards in cooperation with store manager and department merchandiser and buyers (such as gross profit, presentation, etc.).
24. Proof dough products, bake breads, cookies and other bakery products.
25. Cook and prepare bakery products according to company guidelines.
26. Respond timely to all location mail, reports and records.
27. Monitor cooler and display area temperatures to ensure product quality; report refrigeration failure immediately.
28. Offer product samples, answer product questions and offer assistance in finding or suggesting product selection.
29. Prepare special orders as requested by customers (i.e. special occasion cakes, party platters, etc.).
30. Delegate and use initiative, ingenuity and good judgment to act on opportunities and solve problems.
31. Ensure sales and work area are swept clean, orderly and free from safety hazards; report hazards to management.
32. Exercise proper safety practices when lifting or moving product or using equipment.
33. Be sure to operate and clean department equipment and tools.
Secondary Job Functions:
1. Clean walls, fans and drains in bakery coolers, display cases and work area.
2. Verify price checks for customers as needed.
3. Ensure all product labels, signs and prices are aligned with product.
4. Ensure department associates adhere to company dress code standard (i.e. name tags, personal hygiene, etc.)
5. Present favorable impression in dress, personal hygiene and business attitude.
6. Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting, unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
7. Other duties assigned by management.
Manage the department so that it maximizes customer service, sales and profit while creating a positive relationship with the community and ensure fair treatment of all customers, associates, external and internal contacts; ensure department achieves budget and department work plan. (The department volume governs Bakery Manager’s management and work activities and the department work plan and secondary functions may also be classified as essential functions.)
Initial Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Successful experience in the bakery operation (i.e. merchandising, ordering, inventorying, and pricing).
- Ability to display initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Complete training in the bakery operation.
- Must be Servsafe certified.
- Must be able to read and write English adequately.
- Ability to speak, understand and follow English instructions.
Other Minimum Qualifications:
A. U. S. Citizenship or valid work visa
B. High standard of integrity and reliability