To effectively plan, organize, lead, coordinate, and optimize the materials and human resources in the department. Goal is to provide variety and high quality merchandise. Have an appealing display to maximize the sales and profit of the deli/seafood department while maintaining great customer service.
Primary (Essential) Job Functions:
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary by the company.
- Provide an open door atmosphere conducive to high associate morale and excellent customer service. Achieve the highest associate morale in the industry by managing in a style that is Respectful, Supportive and Totally Team Oriented (RSTO).
- Commit to the “Golden Rule” and work with other associates to build a strong deli/seafood team.
- Promote the company image as a service-oriented operation where every associate will greet, assist, render efficient service and thank customers in a prompt, courteous, friendly, and business-like manner.
- Ensure the department achieves the standards of performance as outlined in the work and merchandising plan.
- Possess good communication skills and the ability to conduct and facilitate department meetings.
- Ensure all new department associates receive proper review and training of job descriptions, goals, and objectives.
- Ensure fair and consistent treatment in administering discipline to promote high associate morale.
- Conduct weekly sales meetings with associates to establish merchandising, sales, and profit objectives.
- Responsible for inventory, security, and expense control of the department.
- Ensure company standards of safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation, and productivity are achieved.
- Practice the “Cleaner’s Creed” and proper sanitation procedures.
- Resolve customer complaints to the full satisfaction of the customer.
- Ensure the department is merchandised in accordance with the needs of the community.
- Guarantee the best-trained deli/seafood team in the industry. Train and develop associates in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Individual successful completion of the passbook training within 60 days of entering the department.
- Responsible for department associates’ successful completion of the passbook training within the first 60 days of their entering the department.
- Order, receive, unload and store deliveries properly; store, price, date, rotate, and stock product and prepare product for display and sale.
- Keep all deli/seafood products rotated in accordance with company policy and product code dates and always make use of the oldest products first (first in, first out).
- Effectively control proper storage limiting shrink and damaged goods.
- Achieve and maintain department’s merchandising goals and standards in cooperation with store manager and department merchandisers and buyers (such as gross profit, presentation, etc.).
- Plan work schedules and breaks; achieve payroll consistently by scheduling within budget.
- Ensure all wage and hour policies and regulations are adhered to.
- Maintain accurate records. Respond timely to all location mail, reports, and records.
- Monitor cooler and display area temperatures to ensure product quality; report refrigeration failure immediately.
- Offer product samples, answer product questions, and offer assistance in finding or suggesting product selection.
- Prepare special orders that are requested by customers (i.e., party platters, meat cuts, etc.).
- Minimize all department expenses without compromising department conditions or customer service level (i.e., payroll, supplies, insurance cost).
- Delegate and use initiative, ingenuity, and good judgment to act on opportunities and solve problems.
- Ensure sales and work area are swept clean, orderly, and free from safety hazards; report hazards to management.
- Exercise proper safety practices when lifting or moving product or using equipment.
- Be sure to operate and clean department equipment and tools.
Secondary Job Functions:
1. Restock and use supply items efficiently to eliminate waste and to maintain the lowest supply cost.
2. Verify price checks for customers as needed.
3. Ensure all product labels, signs and prices are aligned with product.
4. Ensure department associates adhere to company dress code standard (i.e. name tags, personal hygiene, etc.)
5. Present favorable impression in dress, personal hygiene and business attitude.
6. Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting, unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
7. Clean walls, fans and drains in deli/seafood coolers, display cases and work area.
8. Other duties assigned by management.
Manage the department in order that it maximizes customer service, sales and profit while creating a positive relationship with the community and ensure fair treatment of all customers, associates, external and internal contacts; ensure department achieves budget and department work plan. (The department volume governs deli/seafood manager’s management and work activities and the department work plan and secondary functions may also be classified as essential functions.)
Initial Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be 18 years of age;
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Successful experience in the deli/seafood operation (i.e., merchandising, ordering, inventorying, and pricing).
- Be knowledgeable and familiar with the nature and duties of every position in the deli/seafood department including procedures, policies and operations.
- Ability to display initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Must be Servsafe certified.
- Must be able to read and write English adequately.
- Ability to speak, understand and follow English instructions.
Other Minimum Qualifications:
A. U. S. Citizenship or valid work visa
B. High standard of integrity and reliability