DECKHAND TRAINEE - CATCHER
Under direction of Captain, Mate, Deck Boss and/or Deckhands, learns and participates in the activities of the vessel deck and/or fishing crew. Can include the setting and hauling back of nets and pots, loading and unloading cargo, tying up and untying to other vessels or docks and other deck related work as needed.
- Assist with pre-season and day to day deck operations of the vessel. Responsible for operating the ship deck in accordance with Trident policy.
- Learn to assist in overseeing and establishing the performance and operation standards for all vessel deck equipment.
- Learn to assist in directing and overseeing launching, retreival, operation and maintenance of a skiff.
- Learn and become able to safely operate or work with cranes, hooks, anchor winches, slings, and other lifting devices.
- Learn and become able to direct and assist in loading and stowing of vessel supplies.
- Learn and become able to safely and compently work in extreme weather and sea conditions as needed.
- Learn and become able to, when trained, stand underway and anchor watches.
- Learn and become able to follow to specific directions in the case of an emergency. Can include launching a raft, donning an Immersion suit or life perserver, assist in a response to fire or flooding.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
- Performs other similar or related duties as requested or assigned.
Maritime or related industry experience preferred; one to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Appropriate licenses/permits of trade (e.g., CG AB or OS license, STCW endorsement, Firefighting etc.) when required.
- 1+ year of experience of commercial fishing.
- Basic deck and maintenance knowledge.
- Basic cooking skills.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision and peripheral vision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to read, speak, write and understand English and use customer service skills. The employee is frequently required to utilize interpersonal, teamwork, decision making skills, creativity, independent judgment, discretion, problem analysis, and supervision skills.
Trident Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Affirmative Action – Minority, Female, Disability, Veteran