Lead Custodian - Full Time
The Lead Custodian is responsible for the cleanliness and sanitation of the areas assigned and provides some work direction to custodial staff. The incumbent is accountable for the completions of assigned duties with a minimum level of supervision. The incumbent interacts positively with members and staff and responds to requests personally or inform the appropriate maintenance staff member.
- Assist Custodial Supervisor in scheduling and training staff as needed.
- Provide additional work direction and assistance to custodians as directed by Custodial Supervisor.
- Complete all duties listed on the daily schedule and maintain daily upkeep of assigned area and equipment.
- Perform janitorial duties.
- Record all needed repairs and repair as directed.
- Ensure YMCA building and property is secure during shift and report incidents and hazardous conditions to supervisor.
- Operate motorized equipment used for cleaning.
- Assist Custodial Supervisor in purchasing cleaning supplies/equipment.
- Schedule clean up and repairs as directed by Custodial Supervisor.
- Ability to read and interpret instructions, procedures, manuals, and other documents
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able and willing to develop
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and equipment
- Basic understanding of the upkeep and care of the equipment used for cleaning
- Understanding of cleaning compounds and chemicals, and their safe, efficient use
- Willingness to learn and share new and better methods of cleaning
- CPR/AED/First Aid certification or ability to obtain certification within 6 months of employment
- Move up to 50 pounds of project materials and/or tools to remote building locations up to 200 feet away 10-15 times a day.
- Erect and stand on scaffolding, ladders, and platforms 3-4 times a week.
- Work at heights up to 30 feet for extended periods of time 3-4 times a week.
- Work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
- Ability to paint, clean equipment, and operate motorized equipment as needed.
- Work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
- Perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Ability to report and record maintenance requests on work board.