This individual is responsible for providing swimming instruction to people of all ages, following the YMCA of the USA Aquatics and Swim Lessons guidelines. Swim Instructors will provide excellent customer service in a safe, enjoyable, and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and satisfaction in accordance with the YMCA policies and procedures.
- Provide swimming instruction to students of various ages and ability levels.
- Maintain constant supervision of students, watch for swimmers needing assistance, and aid swimmers when necessary to ensure positive learning environment.
- Know, understand, and consistently communicate policies and procedures for the pool and whirlpool.
- Understand the YMCA Swim Lessons program, including swimming levels and skills taught for each level. Evaluate students and recommend placement in the correct skill level.
Qualifications - Requirements
- Minimum age of 16.
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/PR, AED, First Aid and Oxygen Administration.
- Certifications required within 60 days of hire: YMCA Swim Instructor.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize swimmers who may need assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and remedy hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Demonstrated ability to swim in shallow and deep water, and tread water (Minnow level swimming skill)
- Patience and the ability to communicate with all ages and levels of swimmers.
- Dedicated to member safety and the mission and philosophy of the YMCA
- Must remain in the pool area at all times.
- Must be able to remain alert, with no lapses of consciousness in a warm environment with air temperatures of 80 degrees or higher.
- Ability to recognize distress signals.
- Ability to support child or adult body weight in the water.
- Be in water ranging from 80-90 degrees for one to four hours.
- Communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.