Canoe Master - Full Time
Contribute to the overall mission and goals of YMCA Camps by providing leadership and management in the following areas: canoe maintenance and repairs, development and implementation of canoe programs, assisting in the maintenance and upgrading of buildings and grounds, assist in the maintenance of equipment, food service staffing as required, and coordinate the community programs.
- Manage the canoe shop and all areas related to the maintenance and repairs of the camp’s fleet of 100+ wooden canoes as well as other canoes that are used for programming.
- Collaborate with the Program Directors to execute the canoe program as it relates to summer trail staff and campers.
- Develop, implement, and expand the canoe shop programs in the fall/winter/spring to include weekend workshops, involvement with Environmental Education groups, and other programming efforts.
- Assist the Site Manager in the overall maintenance of facilities to include: carpentry work, interior and exterior finishes, systems monitoring, janitorial responsibilities, and work crew supervision.
- Assist the site manager in the maintenance, repair, and management of equipment including a large fleet of vehicles.
- Assist in the food service at camp including preparing meals for groups as needed on in the fall/winter/spring.
- Assist in providing leadership to community programs.
- Work with the Board of Management, alumni, and volunteers when needed.
- Participate in staff meetings and become an active member of the staff team.
- Willing to perform additional responsibilities as needed.
Qualifications - Required
- Minimum age of 18.
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA provided First Aid and CPR certification.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- There may also be a need to attend meetings or trainings sessions around the Twin Cities.