zzz Camp Instructor - Part Time
The YMCA is no longer accepting applications for the Camp Instructor position. Please click on All Open Jobs to apply for our exciting new CAMP LEAD opportunity. Thank you!
The Camp Instructor is responsible for planning, directing, leading, and supervising the designated program area. The incumbent provides high quality experiences for campers that focus on the YMCA care values: caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Oversee the setup, up-keep, and staffing of program area.
- Assist in training staff in using equipment and lesson planning for the program area.
- Identify and respond to behavior issues in program area.
- Prepare, lead, and evaluate programs.
- Assist in planning and take leadership with theme/special camp activities.
- Maintain and inventory all equipment necessary for the program area.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Prepare for and actively participate in staff training, meetings, and supervisory conferences.
- May fill in as a camp counselor as needed.
- See camp specific addendum for program details.
Qualifications - Required
- Upon hire, completion of YMCA provided First Aid and CPR certification.
- Minimum 1 year experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to keep accurate records and organize program area logistics.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Possess or acquire the required certifications for specific program areas.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- Must have the ability to restrain and physically support children when needed for safety in general camp activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).