Assistant Swim Team Coach
The Breakers Swim Team, a program offered by the Indian Valley Family YMCA in
Ellington, Connecticut, is a YMCA and USA Swimming registered club. This fast-growing club is seeking two enthusiastic, energetic and passionate part-time assistant swim coaches to work with the head coach and assistant coaching staff in administering the competitive youth training program.
Under the direction of the head coach, provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for swim team participants, is expected to attend swim meets and team
functions throughout the year, and is responsible for creating and maintaining a clean, safe and positive environment for the swim team participants.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Assist head coach in creating thorough, age-appropriate workouts focusing on technique, endurance, stroke development, drills, etc.;
- Participate in structured practices in weekday evenings throughout the year;
- Help to record all workouts and track daily attendance;
- Assist head coach with administrative matters relating to the team, swim meet arrangements and team performance as well as interaction with parents;
- Assist in coordinating and executing swim team competitions and meet registrations and recording times and collecting other relevant data at swim meets;
- Attend swim team events such as meets, meetings, social events, etc. at the direction of the head coach;
- Engage parents and cultivate relationships to create a collaborative swim team environment;
- Assist in swim team social event planning, as necessary;
- Assist in stroke clinics (if any) offered between competitive seasons;
- Participate in coach training opportunities offered by the head coach;
- Assist in maintaining a clean, safe and positive environment for swim team participants.
- 3+ years experience as a competitive swimmer; collegiate competitive swimming experience preferred;
- 1+ years swim coaching experience preferred;
- Possesses (or can obtain upon hire) USA Swimming and YMCA coaching credentials;
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of swim skills and have a strong foundation in stroke mechanics and be able to communicateeffectively with swimmers and their parents;
- Enthusiastic, dynamic presence with good communication skill;
- Certifications: CPR for Professional Rescuer, AED, and First Aid certifications or willingness to obtain;
- Twenty-one (21) years of age or older preferred.