Assistant Teacher - Preschool
Under the direction of the Preschool Head Teacher, the Preschool Assistant Teacher works for the YMCA of Greater Hartford and will assist the Preschool Head Teacher in the preparation and delivery of daily activities by completing assigned task.
Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Actively participate with children in all activities and during play times, ensuring premier quality and innovation.
- Be responsible for clean-up and maintenance of toys and materials after each activity.
- Communicate immediately any problems or concerns with the program, staff, children or parents to the Childcare Director or Supervisor.
- Maintain confidentiality of information provided by parents, staff, and administration.
- Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional, and/or neglect.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children, host agencies, and staff.
- Display a positive attitude that is conducive to good public relations.
- Wear proper identification and presentable clothing AT ALL TIMES.
- Expand job knowledge and skills by demonstrating a willingness to learn.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The incumbent must:
- A current Child Development Associate (CDA) OR Possess an Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education or related field AND two years direct experience working with children ages 3 to 5 years, including two years in a supervisory capacity.
- Certification in CPR and/or First Aid required within 30 days of employment.
- Bring to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with people.
- Have very strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Possess a general knowledge and understanding of the YMCA, its goals, and its mission.