Fitness Attendant ( Per Diem)
Under the supervision of the Health & Wellness Director and consistent with the mission of the YMCA, the Fitness Attendant is responsible for the services and operations offered in the fitness center while providing high quality services for members, participants, and guests of the YMCA.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Ability to develop and maintain high levels of customer service with members and guests.
- Responsible for making member engagement calls to connect/reconnect members to the various services offered within all programming.
- Warmly and enthusiastically greet members. Anticipate member needs.
- Actively listen to members and respond promptly and appropriately.
- Empower members to develop confidence and self-motivation.
- Conduct through new member fitness appointments; following all outlined paperwork processes.
- Be able to effectively problem solve, taking full responsibility to remedy the situation and follow through to its completion.
- Be able to work as a YMCA team member.
- Identify members who may be using unsafe or ineffective techniques and make helpful suggestions.
- Make yourself available to all members regardless of age, gender, race, socioeconomic status, lifestyle, or fitness level.
- Provide members with opportunities that will increase their involvement in and sense of ownership of the YMCA.
- Consistently monitor member participation and provide feedback.
- Regularly check all equipment to ensure proper maintenance.
- Report equipment in need of repair to supervisor immediately, follow branch repair procedures, and post “out of order” sign on equipment. Do not post any handwritten signs.
- Ensure overall cleanliness of YMCA.
- Enforce all YMCA policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with YMCA emergency procedures. Respond promptly and appropriately.
- Maintain good attendance. Be punctual for every shift.
- Arrive for assigned shift well-groomed and in proper uniform, including nametag. No tights, hats, excessive jewelry, or perfume.
- Attendance at staff meetings is mandatory.
- Products or services that are not a part of YMCA programs shall not be promoted or endorsed by any employee to any member or guest whether the employee is “on the clock” or not.
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Fitness related field is preferred.
- The candidate must have working knowledge of all principles of health and fitness.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Current Community CPR, First Aid, & AED required within 30 days of hire.
- New staff orientation, child abuse prevention, must be obtained within the first 90 days of employment. YMCA trainings and certifications will be reviewed after 90-day based on performance.
Group Exercise, Personal Training, and Specialty Group Class certifications.