Group Exercise Instructor
Under the supervision of the Health and Fitness Director, a Group Exercise Instructor teaches a safe and effective class which promotes total fitness development for members.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Conducts group exercise classes according to the YMCA of Greater Hartford Program Quality Guidelines, as well as the specific class format.
- Expand his/her knowledge by seeking out and attending at least one YMCA training or other approved training in the health and fitness industry.
- Supervise class participants and activities to ensure safety and report any irregularities to supervisor immediately.
- Distribute handouts/evaluations to participants as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain active interest in and knowledge of current branch programs and shares information with members and community.
- Be a professional representative of the YMCA.
- Be able to work as a team member, assisting fellow staff when necessary.
- Make yourself available to all members regardless of age, gender, race, socioeconomic status, or fitness level. Share your knowledge and be a resource for sound health and fitness information.
- Take responsibility to keep studio/exercise classroom and equipment neat and clean.
- Be familiar with emergency procedures. Responds promptly and appropriately.
- Maintain good attendance. Give supervisor at least two week notice of schedule changes.
- Assume total responsibility for obtaining qualified substitutes when needed and inform supervisor.
- Allow at least ten minutes to prepare for class and allow for at least five minutes after class to be available for members.
- Arrive for assigned class well groomed and in proper uniform.
- Attendance at staff meetings is mandatory.
- Products or services that are not a part of the YMCA program(s) shall not be promoted or endorsed by an employee to any member or guest whether the employee is “on the clock” or not.
- Possess and maintain current CPR certifications and Association Pre-Practicum approved.
- National certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
- Certification in areas of expertise.
- At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
- Group Exercise Pre-Hire Practicum.