Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with the YMCA of the USA and YMCA of Greater Hartford Swim Lessons Program Guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the YMCA. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
- Provides a lesson plan for any substitute.
- Promotes the YMCA mission and demonstrate YMCA Character Development to all members.
- Acquainted with other available facilities and activities.
- Enforces all pool rules.
- 16 years of age or older.
- Preferred Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen.
- YMCA Swim Instructor or WSI
- Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification or equivalent.
- In addition to the above requirements, it is expected that the Swim Instructor will bring to his/her position maturity, responsibility, positive values and sincere interest in working with people