Water Fitness Instructor
As Water Fitness Instructor one is expected to create and lead a safe and enjoyable fitness class that allows participants to develop physical fitness, while following the acceptable YMCA fitness class format.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Each employee will be expected to carry out duties assigned by the Aquatics Director or Staff Associate.
- These responsibilities are not limited to but include:
- Conduct safe and enjoyable fitness class(es) geared toward developing physical fitness in the individual following the acceptable YMCA fitness class format.
- Be a professional representative of the YMCA.
- Distribute handouts/evaluations to course participants as assigned by the Aquatics Director/ Staff Associate.
- Attend all appropriate all staff meetings, aquatic staff meetings, training sessions and staff functions.
- Maintain active interest and knowledge of current YMCA programs.
- Provide setup and cleanup prior to and immediately following class to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all members and staff.
- Instruct in appropriate attire for a Water Fitness Instructor.
- Ability to instruct from both land and water.
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must hold current certification in Water Fitness Instruction or have prior water fitness instruction experience and attend the first scheduled Water Fitness Instructor training available.
- Must possess a good understanding of YMCA fitness methods as well as overall YMCA philosophy.
- Keep current certifications in CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Oxygen Administration, Standard First Aid and YASA or YMCA Lifeguard.
- Ability to interact with people on a personal as well as professional level in helping members to attain maximum fitness.
- Must be in good physical condition commensurate with the level of classes assigned to teach.
- Must attend New Staff Orientation within 30 days of employment.