Under the general direction of the Child Care Site Director, the Head Teacher works for the YMCA of Greater Hartford and is responsible for development, coordination, quality and supervision of School Age Child Care sites, and School Age Enrichment programs.
Provides a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Directs all aspects of the School Age Child Care programming, including supervision, coordination, promotion, parent relation, school relations, curriculum, scheduling, enrollment, and evaluation.
- Trains, supervises, and mentors all School Age Child Care staff.
- Aggressively pursues additional outreach sites in School Age Child Care.
- Knowledge of Department of Children and Family Services Regulations, Department of Public Health Regulations, YMCA of Greater Hartford procedures, rules, regulations, and guidelines, and Branch regulations.
- In working with Program Director (Child Care), responsible for purchase, inventory, and delivery of all program supplies.
- Insures all program operation is consistent with Association procedures, including emergency procedures, insurance, accidents, purchasing, personnel, and accounting system.
- Develops resources to expand program and enhance family involvement.
- Enlists, trains, and assigns volunteers and recognizes their contribution to Branch objectives.
- Works closely with local school systems, administrators, principals, and teachers to assure smooth operations of program services, utilization of resources and proper communications.
- Insures quality supervision and safety of all your child care programs through development and implementation of handbooks, pick up and drop off policies, background checks on all staff and use of National YMCA Child Care Guidelines for all programs. Maintains all necessary OCFS and Department of Public Health regulations that to youth programs and licensing requirements in conjunction with Association Guidelines.
- Insures all youth programs meet established goals of YMCA youth programming and include values, positive lifestyle development, and knowledge of skills education and provide significant role models and examples for children to pattern.
- Monitors all department programs and services through regular visitation of outreach sties and the development of appropriate evaluation tools.
- Participates accordingly in such projects as assigned as well as staff training's and meetings, product groups and special events.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- The candidate must possess a State of CT Head Teacher's Certificate endorsed for School Age children, OR 12 credits in early childhood or child Development, elementary education, physical education, recreation and leisure, or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of supervising, mentoring, training and/or leading child care.
- The candidate should have experience in developing, organizing, promoting, and directing child care programs and services for youth.
- Possess a general knowledge and understanding of the YMCA, its goals, and its mission.
- Bring to this position maturity, responsibility, and a sincere interest in working with children.
- Have very strong interpersonal and organization skills.
- Knowledge of various resources for programming ideas and the skills to utilize that information in directing daily activities.
- Computer literacy in the use of Windows-based programs including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
- Maintain current medical and tuberculosis health form. (Expires every two years)
- Obtain Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation, AED, and Standard First Aid within 60 days of hire and maintain current certification.
- Candidate will be required to be fingerprinted and have background checks conducted by the YMCA and the state.