The Ranch Counselor will be responsible to serve as a counselor to a group of 8-10 campers, serving as their positive role model, leader and friend. The counselor will also either teach or assist with daily riding lessons with a group of 5-7 riders. They will provide safe and high quality group horseback riding lessons. Primary responsibility is to ensure the well-being of their campers. Counselors plan and carry out activities designed to help build campers spiritually, mentally and physically.
- Is at least 18 years of age.
- Has a desire to care for, work with and motivate campers and counselors. This includes understanding their needs and placing these needs and the objectives of camp before personal needs.
- Has a desire to teach and instruct riding lessons
- Has a desire to live and work with campers in an equine specialty riding program
- Must be able to handle horses of various temperaments and training lessons on the ground and under saddle competently
- Recognize proper position and horse handling of riders and provide corrections.
- Give detailed critiques to improve rider’s performance and the horse’s way of going.
- Must have sufficient experience with horses to ground-handle the majority for reasonably tractable horses.
- Create a climate in the group that will foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA.
- Possess leadership abilities.
- Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional and/or neglect.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children and staff.
- Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment for staff and customers.
- Is familiar with and carries out emergency procedures, building rules and regulations.
- Arrive on time for scheduled shifts, wearing appropriate uniform and name tag, and prepared for all assignments.
- Provide a safe environment and program for all participants.
- Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to those campers in daily living skills, with special attention to:
- Person hygiene, safety and manners
- Camper participation in all camp activities
- Camper personal growth, self-confidence and independence
- HAVE FUN!
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have experience with camp and/or working with children.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Current certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR required.
- Must meet all state licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Outdoor skills, camping and leadership experience.
- Experience in archery, cross-country skiing, nature and teambuilding.
- Certifications in CHA, BHS or ARIA a plus.
- Experience working and handling horses on a regular basis
- Experience riding horses
- Preferred experience assisting or teaching riding lessons