Personal Fitness Trainer
Under the supervision of the Health & Wellness Director, the Personal Trainer will provide enthusiastic, courteous service to all persons using the YMCA facility. The candidate is responsible for designing, collaborating and implementing exercise programs on an individual basis according to the needs and goals of the member.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford is conveyed.
- Warmly and enthusiastically greet members with a smile and eye contact.
- Consult with the member on the health and fitness goals and objectives for an exercise program. Design exercise program base on the goals and objectives identified and the member preferences and weaknesses as shown in the fitness assessment results.
- Programs must include all aspects of fitness, follow proper exercise progression and comply with the philosophy and goals of the YMCA.
- Schedule appointments with member, making sure both parties have each other’s phone number. Member must be contacted if there is an emergency cancellation.
- Member must know that they will be charged for any session missed where the trainer was not given ample notice and showed up for the appointment.
- Report equipment in need of repair to supervisor immediately, follow branch repair procedures and post “out of order” sign on equipment. Do not post any handwritten signs.
- Arrive for appointments well groomed and in proper uniform. Staff shirt clean, pressed and tucked in; no tights, hats, excessive jewelry, or perfume, name tags worn.
- Attendance at staff meetings is mandatory.
- ONE current certification from a nationally recognized health and wellness organization.
The following certifications are accepted by the YMCA of Greater Hartford:
- American College of Sports Medicine: Certified Personal Trainer
- American Council on Exercise- Personal Trainer
- National Strength and Conditioning Association: Certified Personal Trainer
- Current CPR/AED Certifications within 30 days of hire.
- Association Pre-Practicum approved.