Assistant Camp Director
The Assistant Camp Director will be responsible for the supervision of staff and volunteer staff at Camp Nowashe. The Assistant Camp Director will assist the Executive Camp Director at all times of operation and will act on behalf of the Camp Director in the director’s absence.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
- To administer first-aid and give immediate attention to injured or ill campers.
- To administer medications as authorized through written instructions from parents and/or physician in the absence of the Health Director.
- To assist the Camp Director in the training of Day Camp staff and volunteers.
- To notify the Camp Director immediately of any medical emergency situation or inappropriate behavior.
- To keep records as required including daily attendance.
- To be responsible for the general operation of the Day Camp program in the absence of the Camp Director.
- To assist the Camp Director in the planning and execution of program schedules.
- Consult with the Camp Director on camp operations, staffing, and child behavior issues.
- Oversee PM Camper Care and facility closing each day, including a final sweep of camp grounds and check of all doors. Stay on camp grounds with another staff member until all campers have been safely picked up, and follow camp protocol for late pick-ups.
- To attend camp outs, Family Nights, special events and participate in the Camp Phonathon.
- To assist in staff meetings.
- Maintain Open communication with parents.
- Other duties assigned.
- Demonstrate member service by:
- Caring: to be sensitive to the well-being of others; to help others
- Honesty: to tell the truth; to be worthy of trust; to have integrity
- Respect: to treat others as you would have them treat you; to
- value the worth of every person, including yourself
- Responsibility: to do what you ought to do; to be accountable for your behavior and your obligations
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to, members, participants, fellow staff members, vendors and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be the number one priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people within the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Must have at least 20 weeks experience in either a day camp or resident camp setting.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Must successfully complete YMCA New Employee Orientation within 30 days of hire.
- Must successfully complete the YMCA’s Listen First Learn & Implement Cycle within 6
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- CPR for Professional Rescuer/First Aid Certification within 30 days of hire.
- Ability to visibly observe children.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and transport equipment from one location to another.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead activities.
- Ability to communicate with parents and children effectively.
- Ability to hear distress signals even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to reason, solve problems and make sound decisions even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those subject to extreme heat and humidity.
- Observe and promote safety and security procedures.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- To ensure that each camper the total camp experience.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.