Under the direction of the Youth Development Director and the Association Director of Day Camp, the Camp Director is responsible for the daily camp operation.
Greets everyone by using names whenever possible; extends thanks whenever appropriate; makes relationship building the number one priority at all times. The position is responsible for ensuring that the mission, purpose, image and core values of the YMCA of Greater Hartford are conveyed.
1.To be responsible for the supervision, programming and safety of campers, counselors, and overall camp community.
2.Create a climate in the group that will foster the goals and objectives of the YMCA
3.Report immediately to supervisor any evidence of child abuse including physical, mental, emotional and/or neglect.
4.Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children, and staff.
5.Support and contribute to a safe, clean environment for staff and customers.
6.Is familiar with and carries out emergency procedures, building rules and regulations.
7.Arrive on time for scheduled shifts, wearing appropriate uniform and name tag, and prepared for all assignments.
8.Keep accurate, detailed records of incident reports and other necessary documentation.
9.Give assistance to the Youth Development Director with planning, development and implementation of quality camp and unit programming.
10.Assist specialists in presenting their programming to each group, including Arts and Crafts, Outdoor Education and Canoe Director’s curriculum.
11.Provide a safe environment and program for all participants.
12.Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to those campers in daily living skills, with special attention to:
1.Personal hygiene, safety & manners
2.Camper personal interactions with respect to others
3.Camper participation in all camp activities
4.Camper personal growth, self-confidence and independence
13.Other duties as assigned by the Youth Development Director and Association Director of Day Camping.
- Provides a quality experience for everyone, including but not limited to, members, participants, fellow staff members, vendors and others.
- Treats everyone with courtesy, respect and consideration; displays integrity; listens actively and genuinely; communicates in a clear and pleasant manner; embraces differences among people; demonstrates an active willingness to learn and grow; accepts constructive criticism; works cooperatively as a team member.
The member relations aspect of this position requires that relationship building be the number one priority at all times, attending to the needs and requests of health seekers, members, and all people within the YMCA in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have experience being part of a camp leadership team.
- Person must possess values consistent with the mission of the YMCA.
- Current certification in Standard First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer required
- Must meet all state licensing and accreditation requirements.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to visibly observe children.
- Ability to stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and transport equipment from one location to another.
- Ability to demonstrate and lead activities.
- Ability to communicate with parents and children effectively.
- Ability to hear distress signals even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to reason, solve problems and make sound decisions even when distracted by noise and activity.
- Ability to work in a variety of environments, specifically those subject to extreme heat and humidity.
- Observe and promote safety and security procedures.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
EFFECT ON END RESULT:
- To ensure that each camper the total camp experience.
- The YMCA will be recognized by the community as providing excellent service to all who walk through our doors or contact us on the phone.
- The YMCA will effectively connect and build relationships with its members and the community, resulting in increased member enrollment and retention.
- Consistent, superior member service and satisfaction resulting in continued growth in membership, programs and special services.